My hubby’s studio recital was this weekend and I wanted to whip up something sweet for the reception. I have a ton of zucchini thanks to my veggie garden that decided to do nothing all summer and explode in late August so I decided to use some. If you put zucchini in a cake it’s healthy, right?
I came across this recipe at Cooking Light but I changed a few things. I used almond milk instead of buttermilk, whole wheat flour, and omitted the nuts. I was also out of cocoa so I used a pack of chocolate fudge Jello pudding. Worked fine.
Spraying the bundt pan with Pam is essential for easy removal.
Add the glaze!
Nom nom nom!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Cooking Light
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 8 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust pan with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Place sugars, cream cheese, and vegetable oil in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and next 5 ingredients (2 1/2 cups flour through cinnamon) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in zucchini, 2/3 cup chocolate chips, and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine milk, 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, coffee, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave at medium 45 seconds or until chocolate melts, stirring after 20 seconds. Combine powdered sugar mixture with chocolate mixture, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over cake.
It must have been good because it was pretty much gone by the end of the reception. All in all, total recital success. All of my husband’s students did a amazing job and I was one proud wife!
Tomorrow is back to school!